This week’s readings were fun to read.

Personally the McLeod reading on mashups was interesting to read.

Honestly, I didn’t knew much about the term mashup until like 2 years ago when I downloaded a free mashup song. see the link below

Mashups are fun (and quite ridiculously catchy) to listen to if you know most (if not, all) of the songs that are being used to make a totally whole new sounding song.  For example: United State of Pop (2009) is a collection of songs sung by pop artists last year and was mashed up by DJ Earworm and is posted on his site:  Click here to listen or download it for free:   http://djearworm.com/united-state-of-pop-2009-blame-it-on-the-pop.htm

I like how he still support the fact that you should still buy the artists’ songs/album that he used to make the mashups.  (see the disclaimer at the bottom of DJ Earworm’s site)  So he’s technically not stealing the real song’s credit, just praising it.

I agree with McLeod in that the mashup is deconstructed.  The songs used lose their meaning to form a new, almost pointless song.

I wonder  if there are other genre mashups that are popular.  I would be pleased to see non-pop songs being mashed up.  But I guess most songs that are mashed up have to be pop.  Correct me if I’m wrong, by posting a comment about a mashup that isn’t pop.

In terms of the Bull reading on iPod interpersonal culture, I felt I related to some of the responses.  I agree with the comment made by Marianne in the text where she states:

“I’ll switch it off. The iPod is my personal entertainment but I don’t want it to interfere in the way I interact with other people.  So if someone speaks to me I don’t mind switching it off.  I consider it impolite not to.”

I know I’m thoroughly a considerate person, so I felt the connection she felt too.  I don’t want to be rude and listen to my iPod and ignore someone if I’m in a public setting or speaking to someone in a public place.

There comes a time where you need to block your mind off of the public (i.e. Subways, buses, or any other form of mass transit), but I feel that you can just do the same if you read a newspaper or stare off into space while on a long commute.  I may seem old-fashioned but I prefer to listen to music in my room or living room than having to isolate myself into a bubble in a public setting.  Yes, there are perks to listening to your favorite music in public (personal space, comfort, one’s own personal public zone), but you can do other things, like read assignments, plan out your day in your head, or making mental notes on what you’re going to do after classes are over, etc.  I think another reason why I don’t listen to my iPod in public settings is because of the safety issues that comes with it (lose focus, someone could rob you, threats, and isolation from important announcements on the train or bus)

From the Locke reading, I liked the comparisons of the test subjects’ music library.  I liked how they broke it down to what song was purchased or downloaded.  What I though odd was that the college student who owned 3,000 song didn’t have any iTunes purchased songs.  I find that hard to believe.

Personally, most of my music library is ripped from CD’s.  Then the rest is from companies offering free limited time only promotional songs (like car companies), iTunes purchases (some), or free song code cards via Starbucks which I get from my cousin who buys a drink there often and gets these cards, but I digress.

Lastly on a different point, I was too young to have downloaded anything illegally via the early incarnation of Napster or Kazaa, so I can’t say that I have practiced file sharing or actively participated in file sharing sites.

Not to make you admit any wrongdoing, but who here experienced with Napster of the late 90s, early 2000s?