Collins talks about how the music industry and the video game industry is mixing together.

Personally a video game without music isn’t really an entertaining game.  The article was interesting because she talks about video games which is another of my favorite hobbies to do on my down time or during the breaks between semesters.

After reading this, I realized that almost every video game now is trying to incorporate real artists into the game.  With the rise of games like Guitar Hero, and Rock Band, each series made many iterations of artists themed games including The Beatles or artist-inclusive games which is what Guitar Hero has.  With so many well known artists out there, plugging their songs into video games is a cool way to boost your rep, popularity, and record sales.  I find this to be a potent force to reckoned with.  What do you guys think?  Do you find yourself loving a game more if your favorite artist is featured in it?  Or are you offended or frustrated for the fact that they even tap into this industry?

You would think the game itself is the main reason gamers buy a game but to Collins, she says the soundtrack is the most important marketing tactic to sell the game.

When I read that items in the game were being labeled by a band (Nine Inch Nails), that was kind of unique and funny at the same time.  I’ve never seen real life artists being programmed into the game’s storyline.  That must be humbling to see your name or artist band’s name enshrined forever in a video game.

Musicians also find their way into “driving games” which are mainly dance tracks.  I wonder why that is the case, having dance music in driving games.  You would think it be rock music, or indie pop rock playing in games that require chase scenes for example the game called Driver.

I wonder what current or new artists will take the stand in the video game industry and turn a new game into a whole entirely branded artist game.  This would be very innovative and an all-new experience to play instead of hearing dribs and drabs of promotion in various sectors of the game.  But it all depends on the licensing agreements too, so who knows?  The future of the music and video game industries look bright!